Home Energy Professional Certifications
Take your career to the next level with Home Energy Professional Certifications
We know the job market is tough. That’s why BPI’s Home Energy Professional (HEP) certifications are designed to give experienced workers a leg up on the competition. These advanced credentials prove you have the knowledge, skills and abilities to get the job done right. Show employers you’ve earned the industry’s top credential, and boost your job security, job opportunities and level of professionalism.
Offered by BPI and supported by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and its National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), the four certifications demonstrate advanced competency through rigorous written and field exams and work experience prerequisites. They meet the global benchmark for quality personnel certifications across all industries - the International Organization for Standardization's (ISO) 17024 standard, as accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
These new certifications will not replace BPI’s existing certifications in the industry. Rather, they will complement and build upon BPI's existing credentials in the home performance career ladder, where increased knowledge and skills lead to advancement.
Evaluate the energy efficiency, health, and safety of a home, and use diagnostic equipment to identify areas for energy savings. Use modeling software to produce an audit report and develop a prioritized scope of work for the customer.
Quality Control Inspector
Verify compliance of retrofit work performed based on work plans and standards. Use diagnostic equipment to conduct audits and inspections, and develop reports that specify corrective actions to achieve optimal whole house home performance.
Ensure quality and supervise the installation and performance of weatherization measures defined in each project’s work scope developed during the auditing/estimating process.
Ensure proper installation of products and services related to existing home energy efficiency. Install residential envelope air sealing, HV/AC duct sealing, insulation, windows and doors, mechanical ventilation and roofing upgrades in single family homes and small multi-family housing.
STEPS TO GETTING STARTED;
1. Review the Registration Instructions for the Home Energy Professional Certification Exams.
2. Review the Certification Scheme Handbook and field guides for each certification being considered.
3. Because the HEP certifications are for experienced professionals, candidates must meet prerequisite criteria to be eligible to take the exams. Review the prerequisite requirements in the Certification Scheme Handbook and determine if your background meets the criteria.
4. Review the application for each certification being considered.
5. Fill out all information requested in the application, and gather documentation verifying you meet the prerequisite criteria. Your supporting documentation is critical to meeting prerequisite criteria. If you have been approved previously for one or more of the HEP designations, you may use that approval notice for the HEP exams.
6. FOR Energy Auditor: PDF Link
7. FOR Quality Control Inspector: PDF Link
8. FOR Crew Leader: PDF Link
9. FOR Installer: PDF Link
10. Save the application form, and email, fax or mail it to BPI together with supporting documentation. See application form for contact information.
11. BPI will contact all applicants by email to notify them of their approval status. Once approved, you can contact us and schedule your exam.
12. Determine if training is required prior to attempting certification. Green Jobs Training Center can train you as well.
13. Take the written and field exams, and complete them successfully according to the passing scores listed in each certification’s Certification Scheme Handbook
The processing time for exam results is four to six weeks.
14. Receive your certification.
15. Recertify every three years. See each certification’s Certification Scheme Handbook for more information. Link